Calm & Sense NY
How to Cut A Wine Bottle at Home!
Written Tutorial: Cut a Wine Bottle
- Wine Bottle/Beer Bottle/Soda Bottle (GLASS)
- TIP: Use a thinner glass bottle for the first couple attempts until you get the hang of it.
- Acetone/Nail Polish Remover or Lighter Fluid & small dish
- TIP: Lighter Fluid burns hotter and longer, results were more consistent (bottle broke on first attempt). Acetone tends to go out quicker and required 2-3 attempts per bottle
- Cotton String/Yarn/Shoe Lace
- ICE water & Bucket– at least as tall as your bottle
- * Well Ventilated Area!* Be smart, you’re using flammable liquid….
- Remove labels from bottles (if you want to keep the label, just cut the bottle 2″ above the top of the label)
- Tie your STRING around the bottle
- Wrap String/Yarn around bottle AT LEAST 3 times. Make sure the string is tight.
- Secure String with a knot or a small piece of floral wire/bread tie wire. Cut off as much excess string as possible
- Slide string off of bottle
- Pour acetone or lighter fluid into your dish. (I used lighter fluid). Soak the String for at least 10 seconds
- Put string back onto the glass bottle just below where you want it to be cut. Wipe away excess fluid that may be on the bottle with a rag.
- Fill a bucket with COLD WATER & ICE. (*It will NOT work without ice water)
- Light the string on fire with a lighter and begin to spin the bottle
- Continue to rotate the bottle….
- When the flame looks like it is about to go out, quickly dunk the bottle into the bucket of ice water
- AND….. your bottle should split into 2 separate halves almost instantly. The abrupt temperature change from very hot to ice cold is what causes the break to occur.
- HERE’S THE RESULTS
Watch me cut a bottle using this method in the video at the top of this post!
Here’s what I made with my bottles!
For mini tutorials on how I made these, Check out: DIY Repurposed Wine Bottles
Check out DIY Repurposed Wine Bottles to see how I made these candles and votive holders!
Thanks for reading 🙂
Hang out with us on social media:
Check out what else CALM&SENSE has been up to!
DIYs, Incredible Interior Transformations, and Tutorials.
Photo Gallery: The big move to Brooklyn
Scroll to bottom of this post for the Link to: “CUTTING GLASS BOTTLE TUTORIAL” CANDLES How to make Candles like these: Votive Holders For Top half of glass bottles: Place in a tray. Add sand, marbles, stones, etc… For Bottom half of glass bottles: Fill with sand, marbles, shells, etc… Place tealight inside. Perfect for…
Photo gallery of Spare Room Revamp. Useless spare room transformed into inspiring art studio! This room has been tricky since day one. It has 2 closets, 2 entrances (1 from the bedroom & 1 from the entryway), a bay window, and it’s just funky all around. After revamping the bedroom (See “Bland to Boho: Bedroom…