Calm & Sense NY
How to Cut A Wine Bottle at Home!
Written Tutorial: Cut a Wine Bottle
- Wine Bottle/Beer Bottle/Soda Bottle (GLASS)
- TIP: Use a thinner glass bottle for the first couple attempts until you get the hang of it.
- Acetone/Nail Polish Remover or Lighter Fluid & small dish
- TIP: Lighter Fluid burns hotter and longer, results were more consistent (bottle broke on first attempt). Acetone tends to go out quicker and required 2-3 attempts per bottle
- Cotton String/Yarn/Shoe Lace
- ICE water & Bucket– at least as tall as your bottle
- * Well Ventilated Area!* Be smart, you’re using flammable liquid….
- Remove labels from bottles (if you want to keep the label, just cut the bottle 2″ above the top of the label)
- Tie your STRING around the bottle
- Wrap String/Yarn around bottle AT LEAST 3 times. Make sure the string is tight.
- Secure String with a knot or a small piece of floral wire/bread tie wire. Cut off as much excess string as possible
- Slide string off of bottle
- Pour acetone or lighter fluid into your dish. (I used lighter fluid). Soak the String for at least 10 seconds
- Put string back onto the glass bottle just below where you want it to be cut. Wipe away excess fluid that may be on the bottle with a rag.
- Fill a bucket with COLD WATER & ICE. (*It will NOT work without ice water)
- Light the string on fire with a lighter and begin to spin the bottle
- Continue to rotate the bottle….
- When the flame looks like it is about to go out, quickly dunk the bottle into the bucket of ice water
- AND….. your bottle should split into 2 separate halves almost instantly. The abrupt temperature change from very hot to ice cold is what causes the break to occur.
- HERE’S THE RESULTS
Watch me cut a bottle using this method in the video at the top of this post!
Here’s what I made with my bottles!
For mini tutorials on how I made these, Check out: DIY Repurposed Wine Bottles
Check out DIY Repurposed Wine Bottles to see how I made these candles and votive holders!
Thanks for reading 🙂
Hang out with us on social media:
Check out what else CALM&SENSE has been up to!
DIYs, Incredible Interior Transformations, and Tutorials.
Backwoods turned Brooklyn
Photo Gallery: The big move to Brooklyn
DIY Re-Purposed Wine Bottles. Candles, Votive Holders, & More!
Scroll to bottom of this post for the Link to: “CUTTING GLASS BOTTLE TUTORIAL” CANDLES How to make Candles like these: Votive Holders For Top half of glass bottles:Place in a tray. Add sand, marbles, stones, etc…For Bottom half of glass bottles: Fill with sand, marbles, shells, etc… Place tealight inside.Perfect for your bottles that…
Dull to Dreamy: Spare Room Revamp
Photo gallery of Spare Room Revamp. Useless spare room transformed into inspiring art studio! This room has been tricky since day one. It has 2 closets, 2 entrances (1 from the bedroom & 1 from the entryway), a bay window, and it’s just funky all around. After revamping the bedroom (See “Bland to Boho: Bedroom…